Gene Researcher for a Week -Opportunity for
Grades 11 & 12 Science Students
NOTE: We have also created a handout at http://genecure.ca/en/docs/GRFAW_studenthandout_2013.pdf and a poster http://genecure.ca/en/docs/GRFAW_studentposter-letter.pdf that can be distributed electronically or printed and even used as a poster on classroom/school bulletin boards.)
ANNOUNCEMENT: The Canadian Gene Cure Foundation is pleased to announce that applications will be accepted for the 2012 Gene Researcher for a Week Program November 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012. Funded in part by the Canadian Institute Health Research, Merck and CIHR-Institute of Genetics, the Foundation selects motivated and ambitious students in grades 11 and 12 who have an innate curiosity for science, human genetics, and human genetics research. This year we anticipate being able to place up to 50 students in this program.
The program offers high school students:
1. The opportunity for a hands-on learning experience in the field of genetic research Students gain insight into the world of genetic diseases by conducting real, hands-on scientific experiments (i.e. DNA isolation, PCTR, gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, cell culture and ELISA assays). Participants may also learn how genes cause human genetic disorders and how top scientists translate these findings into treatments and cures for genetic diseases.
2. The opportunity to work in one of Canada’s top genetic research laboratories These students are placed in labs of influential Canadian scientists for one week over Spring Break. This experience gives young students what many have called “a life changing experience”. The GRFAW mentoring program is a great opportunity for young scientists to learn about human genetics research and connect with some Canada’s best researchers.
3. The opportunity develop a network of high potential peers Student gene researchers are bright, talented and highly motivated individuals. By participating in the program, they will have an opportunity to meet people in their host lab and institution. Some labs will host more than one student, providing a further opportunity to network with other students.
4. The unique opportunity to learn about the many exciting career paths in science and genetics
Through the science teachers in the schools, it is our hope that motivated science students across Canada have ready access to this one-of-a-kind opportunity. See what it has done for others and why Canadian researchers support this program http://genecure.ca/en/programs/gene-researcher-for-a-week/past-success/.
Please encourage your students that are eligible to apply; Application will be posted on November 1st at http://www.genecure.ca/en/programs/gene-researcher-for-a-week/program-description/ November 1 2012 and will CLOSE December 31, 2012.
Selection Criteria Selected students will be placed with their host scientists during Spring Break. Due to the high number of students that apply, candidates will be selected based on the following criteria:
• Must be a resident of Canada • Must be a high school student in grade 11 or 12 • Must be 16 years of age by January 1st of the year of participation (2013) • Must have a high academic standing (overall GPA of 85% or higher) • Must show an interest in pursuing a career/education in human genetics • Must be well rounded in all areas (academic, volunteer and extra-curricular activities)
Cost to students: There is no cost to participate in the program or to apply. If travel is required, a stipend will be provided by the Canadian Gene Cure Foundation however it may not cover all travel costs including food and accommodations.
Through the science teachers and counselors in the schools, it is our hope that motivated science students across Canada have ready access to this one-of-a-kind opportunity. More information is available on the website www.genecure.ca or you may contact us at email@example.com or phone 250.708.4203. Please email us if you would like to be notified of our programs and opportunities for students in the future or if you no longer wish to be on this mailing list.
Canadian Gene Cure Foundation | [firstname.lastname@example.org] | Phone: 250.708.4203